How to grow lettuce in a garden
- Choose a spot in your garden that sits in full sun and enrich the soil with Yates Dynamic Lifter Soil Improver & Plant Fertiliser.
- Lettuce seeds are very tiny and only need to be sown 3mm deep. Don’t sow them any deeper, otherwise they won’t be able to grow. Sow a few seeds directly into each planting hole and lightly cover with soil. You can also raise in trays of Yates Seed Raising Mix and transplant when 3-4cm high.
- Once seedlings appear, feed weekly with Yates Thrive Vegie & Herb Liquid Plant Food. Mulch around the base with organic mulch like sugarcane or pea straw.
- Water regularly to keep the soil moist, otherwise lettuce can be bitter tasting.
- Make successive sowings every few weeks to extend your harvest window and snip or pick outer leaves often to encourage more growth.