How to grow leeks in a garden
- Fill starter pots or trays with Yates Seed Raising Mix. Sprinkle seeds, lightly cover, and gently water. Keep the soil moist so the seeds don’t dry out.
- While the seedlings are growing, choose a sunny spot in the garden and prepare the planting area well by loosening the soil with a fork and digging in Yates Dynamic Lifter Soil Improver & Plant Fertiliser. Add Yates Hydrangea Pinking Liquid Lime & Dolomite if soil is acidic.
- Once seedlings have emerged, feed weekly with Yates Thrive Vegie & Herb Liquid Plant Food. Allow seedlings to grow to about 10cm before transplanting.
- Transplant and space 20cm apart. Plant seedlings 15cm deeper to help blanch leeks. Mulch with an organic mulch, such as sugar cane or pea straw and water in well.
- Feed weekly with Yates Thrive Vegie & Herb Liquid Plant Food to encourage healthy growth.