How to grow azaleas in a garden
- Choose a spot in the garden with semi-shade and that gets protection from the harsh afternoon sun. Enrich the soil with Yates Dynamic Lifter Soil Improver & Plant Fertiliser. If the soil is clay based, add gypsum and fork in well.
- Dig the planting hole twice as wide and to the same depth as the root-ball. Remove the shrub from the container, gently tease the roots.
- Position in hole and backfill, gently firming down. Form a raised ring around the plant, creating a well so that water will go where it’s needed most. Water in well.
- Mulch around the base with organic mulch like bark chips, sugarcane or pea straw, keeping it away from the main stem.
- Feed every 1-2 weeks with Yates Thrive Roses and Flowers Liquid Plant Food.