Ways to save water around your home and garden
Water is a precious resource, so we shouldn’t waste it. Water wise tips are simple things you can do around your home and garden every day to use water efficiently.
Easy ways to save water in your garden
- Fit a trigger nozzle to your garden hose and water in the cool of the early morning, different areas will have different water restrictions and these times might not apply everywhere.
- Use a broom or rake rather than a hose to clean your driveways and hard surfaces.
- Plant for the climate and soil in your area. Choose dry tolerant plants that are suitable for your climate and soil type.
- Apply 7 - 10 cm of mulch around plants to help save water lost through evaporation.
- Wash your car with a trigger nozzle on the lawn so that you water the grass at the same time.
Easy ways to save water in your home
- Keep your showers to four minutes. Taking shorter showers is one of the best ways to help conserve water.
- Wait until your dishwasher or washing machine is fully loaded before you turn it on.
- Turn off the tap while you brush your teeth or shave.
- Wash your vegetables and rinse dishes in a plugged sink or basin – not under a running tap.
- Install WELS rated water saving showerheads and taps. The higher the number of stars, the more efficient they are.
- Place a bucket under the shower to catch the water until it warms up. This can then be used to water plants out in the garden.