How to grow birds of paradise in a garden
- Choose a sunny to partly shaded spot with well drained soil. Enrich the soil with Yates Dynamic Lifter Soil Improver & Plant Fertiliser.
- Dig the planting hole twice as wide and to the same depth as the root-ball. Remove the plant from the container, gently tease the roots and cut away any circled or tangled roots.
- Position in hole and backfill with soil, gently firming down. Water in well after planting to settle the soil around the roots and keep the soil moist for several weeks while the new plant establishes
- Mulch with an organic mulch, such as bark chips, sugar cane or pea straw ensuring to keep it away from the leaf bases.
- Feed with Yates Dynamic Lifter Soil Improver & Plant Fertiliser every 8 weeks from spring until mid autumn.