Teepees are a great outdoor place for kids to play, hide and relax. You can grow your own living teepee of climbing beans using of a pyramid of bamboo poles or tomato stakes. The teepee creates a fun and sheltered area to play and provides kids with delicious and healthy garden snacks too.
Here are the simple steps to create your own living teepee:
- To build a pyramid shaped teepee, tie the top of 5 -10 2 m long poles or stakes together with twine and push the ends well into the soil so they’re stable and secure. Make sure there’s enough room inside the teepee for the kids!
- Also wind the twine around the poles closer to the ground, to give the bean plants extra places to climb and help strengthen the teepee.
- Dig in some Yates® Dynamic Lifter® Soil Improver & Plant Fertiliser into the soil around the base of the teepee to help give your beans a great start.
- Sow a few climbing bean seeds, such as Yates Stringless Blue Lake, at the bottom of each pole or stake, and water in well. There’s no need to water again for the next few days.
- The tiny seedlings will emerge in 7 – 10 days and gradually start to climb their way up the poles.
- Water the bean plants regularly and feed with Yates Thrive® Vegie & Herb Liquid Plant Food to help them grow.
- The first tasty bean pods can be picked from around 10 - 12 weeks after sowing.
Tip: Growing a potted pizza garden – use pots with good drainage holes (bigger pots are easier to look after than smaller pots), place in the pots in a nice sunny spot and fill with good quality potting mix. Feed and water your pots regularly to help keep the plants healthy.