How to grow oranges in a pot
When planting in a pot, choose a dwarf orange variety, such as Dwarf Valencia or Dwarf Navel.
- Choose a pot at least 600mm wide. Position in full sun and fill with quality potting mix, such as Yates Potting Mix with Dynamic Lifter. TIP: Consider placing the pot on pot feet if you live in a cold area, so it can be easily moved inside or to a more protected spot in winter.
- Remove the shrub from the container, gently tease the roots and cut away any circled or tangled roots.
- Position in the hole and backfill, gently firming down. Water in well.
- Water deeply, 2-3 times during the week, depending on weather conditions.
- Feed your citrus with Yates Dynamic Lifter Soil Improver & Plant Fertiliser three times a year, in early spring, summer and again in autumn.
- When the tree starts to produce fruit (normally in its 3rd year), feed weekly with Yates Thrive Citrus Liquid Plant Food.