‘Shangri La’, names a mythical place in James Hilton’s book Lost Horizon and now conjures up the idea of somewhere serene, mystical and happy.
Lush looking indoor plants can bring a sense of calm and tranquillity into indoor spaces and Nature’s Décor Philodendron ‘Shangri La’ makes an impressive leafy indoor plant.
Bred in Australia it’s an attractive tropical shrub that grows to around 1 m tall and wide. It has a compact habit with deeply divided fresh green leaves.
Here’s how to keep your indoor Shangri La looking lush and healthy:
- Find a warm, brightly lit spot that is protected from direct sunlight and draughts.
- Use a good quality potting mix such as Yates® Premium Potting Mix.
- Choose a pot that has good drainage holes or sit the plain plastic pot inside a decorative container. It’s important to not let water accumulate at the base of the container.
- Keep the potting mix consistently moist. It’s easy to check the moisture levels by gently digging your finger around in the top few centimetres of mix.
- To promote lots of healthy green growth, feed from spring to autumn with a liquid fertiliser like Yates Thrive Houseplant Liquid Plant Food.
- Gently dust the leaves regularly to keep them clean.
Nature’s Décor Philodendron ‘Shangri La’ can also be grown outdoors in a frost free, protected shady spot in both pots and garden beds.
Consider a ‘Shangri La’ for your office too, with studies showing that plants in the workplace can help reduce stress and improve job satisfcation!
More Ideas & Inspiration
How to look after your bonsai
Insiders Guide to buying plants at a nursery