How to grow garlic in a garden
- Choose a sunny spot in the garden and enrich the soil by digging in Yates Dynamic Lifter Soil Improver and Plant Fertiliser.
- Separate the individual cloves and push these into holes 2cm to 5cm deep and 10-20cm apart, ensuring the clove is pointy end up. Water in well and mulch lightly with an organic mulch, like sugarcane or pea straw.
- Water regularly throughout the growing season to keep soil moist, but not wet – you don’t want the bulbs to rot!
- Feed twice in winter with Yates Dynamic Lifter Soil Improver and Plant Fertiliser. Once spring hits and the weather warms, feed weekly with Yates Thrive Vegie & Herb Liquid Plant Food.
- To harvest, wait until the flower has browned and died, then using a small trowel, gently lift from underneath and pull on the stem.