Choosing the right lawn seed
There are so many different kinds of front and back lawns all around Australia, including lawns in sun or shade and areas that are a playground for pets and kids. People also have their own preferences for the type of lawn they want, including soft and upright grasses to tough and running varieties. To help you choose which lawn seed to use, here are some details about the most popular lawn seeds in the Munns and Yates range:
- Munns® Arid Sun and Shade Lawn Seed Mix – a hardwearing and evergreen blend of upright ‘cool season’ grasses that will grow from full sun to 85% shade. These grasses do not require edge trimming and won’t invade garden beds as they are non-running. Suitable for all soil types and contains self-repairing tall fescue which makes it ideal for children and pets.
- Munns Emerald Kikuyu – a ‘warm season’ drought tolerant, hard wearing running grass that has a darker green colour, finer leaf texture, is less invasive and remains greener in winter (shown below right in mid-winter) than other varieties of kikuyu. Emerald kikuyu lawn seed is blended with a wetting agent to moisture penetration into the soil. The seed can take up to 21 days to germinate.
- Yates® LawnSmart® All Season Lawn Seed – a special blend of premium tall fescue, fast germinating ryegrass and other grasses to establish a drought tolerant lawn in cool climate areas. It survives in both sunny and shaded areas, offers excellent winter green colour and is ideal for oversowing shade damaged areas of kikuyu and buffalo lawns.
- Munns Professional Pure Kikuyu Premium Seed Blend – this Emerald kikuyu turf type lawn seed creates a beautiful, dense green lawn. It’s a drought tolerant and hard wearing warm season running grass that has a darker green colour, finer leaf texture, is less invasive and remains greener in winter than other varieties of kikuyu.
- Munns Professional Couch Lawn Seed – couch is a fine textured, hard wearing rich green lawn that is ideal for high wear areas often associated with pets and children. It’s a warm season running grass that is drought tolerant and self-repairing and is suited to most areas around Australia. Munns Professional Couch is a blend of turf type perennial ryegrass and couch. The ryegrass germinates first, acting as a protective cover while the slower couch germinates and establishes. Over time, the couch will become the dominant grass type.
All Munns Professional lawn seeds are coated in an advanced multi-purpose coating to boost germination, deter birds and allow you to see where you’ve sown seed. They also contain a professional grade soil wetting agent and premium slow release fertiliser, to provide nutrients to the establishing grass seedlings.