Similar Questions

05:59PM, 16 Nov 2009
Answer: Hi Sigrid, when some soils and potting mixes ge...
Category: General
05:59PM, 16 Nov 2009
Ian & ...
Transplanting a large bottle brush in stony clay soil. How and when is best to do

I lost a 4 metre height Grevillea the other week in the winds. I have a bottlebrush over 10 years old that I have to prune every year as it grows up past the eves. Not sure of name as it should have grown to 1.5m so believe it was incorrectly tagged. I am thinking of transplanting the bottlebrush to where the grevillea was so as to provide some privacy from next door. Haven't transplanted any trees so would like to know how to do it and when is best. We have a stone clay soil, so to dig I either use a mattock or similar. My only use for a spade is to clean out the hole.

Submitted: 07:22AM, 25 Jun 2016
Answer: Hi Ian & Patricia

Thank you for contacting us regarding transplanting your tree. Autumn is the best time to transplant trees, as the temperature is cooler, but the soil is still warm enough to encourage root growth and allow your plants to establish faster.
• You will need to trim the tree to a manageable size and easy to handle for transport 2-3 weeks before transplanting; therefore there is enough time for the tree to heal.
• Flood the tree several days before transplanting and make sure the roots get a good soak.
• The new planting hole needed to be twice as big as the root ball.
• Prepare soil by removing stones, adding some garden compose and Dynamic lifter to the existing soil ( keep them on the top 20cm to prevent Anaerobic condition)
• Make sure the new soil level is the same as existing level ( Do not bury the crown)
• Mulch it up and water in well
You may get more information for the following links:

Hope this helps and happy gardening.

Best Regards,
Yates Horticulturalist

Category: General
Answered: 10:36AM, 25 Jun 2016


This area is for general comments from members of the public. Some questions or comments may not receive a reply from Yates. For specific gardening advice visit Ask an expert Alternatively you may wish to contact us.