Similar Questions

09:11AM, 22 Oct 2009
Answer: Hardenbergia can develop leaf spots which can b...
Category: Diseases
09:11AM, 22 Oct 2009
04:20PM, 26 Oct 2009
Answer: It is too late to spray at this point as the tr...
Category: Diseases
04:20PM, 26 Oct 2009
Medium_kentia_small Kentia palm with a yellowing small leaf, large brown spots on two fronds and shoots that do not grow

I have a Kentia palm which has been growing indoors for 1.5 years. It is not exposed to direct sunlight. We water the plant once every 7-10 days. The soil seems to drain reasonably well, there is no water in the saucer, and we generally wait with watering until the top of the soil (finger-deep) feels dry.

Recently, a small frond near the bottom of the plant (not one of the oldest - it developed when we already had the plant) started to develop large yellow/ brown areas and seems to be dying. When investigating this further, I also spotted large brown spots on another two, much bigger fronds (see photo). The spots do not feel soaked and seem to be relatively localised inside the frond (i.e. this is not tip browning). Another issue, which may or may not be related, is that the plant developed a couple of frond shoots that started to grow into spears, but then stopped growing several weeks or even months ago, while it was still warm.

Any advice on what is going on would be really helpful.

Submitted: 10:14AM, 16 May 2017
Answer: Hi Felix,

Thank you for contacting Yates.

Looks like the Kentia palm is infested with fungal leaf spot. The product you need to apply is Yates Leaf Curl Copper Fungicide Spray. I would suggest to remove and dispose the most affected frond and spray the product on both sides of the leaves. You can see a picture of the product using the below link.

Hope this helps and happy gardening.

Best Regards,
Yates Horticulturist

Category: Diseases
Answered: 12:03PM, 16 May 2017


This area is for general comments from members of the public. Some questions or comments may not receive a reply from Yates. For specific gardening advice visit Ask an expert Alternatively you may wish to contact us.