Best way to dethatch/scarify a kikuyu lawn?
When is the best time to dethatch my kikuyu lawn and what is the best process to carry it out? Do I need to fertilise?
The best time of year to dethatch a lawn is early to mid Autumn, or, mid to late Spring, this way you are avoiding the heat of Summer but it is still warm enough for the lawn to recover and grow.
- In the days leading up to dethatching, ensure the lawn is well watered and hydrated, apply a liquid soil wetter if necessary.
- Wait a day or so to allow the leaves and thatch to dry out.
- Gradually mow the lawn until it as close to the ground as possible.
- Vigorously rake the lawn, collecting as much loose material as possible. You can mow the lawn again to help collect the loose thatch.
- Apply Yates Dynamic lifter Organic lawn Food and water in well.
Answered: 12 Mar, 2021