Zucchini and mushroom salad
This Fresh recipe has been extracted from the Yates Garden Fresh Cookbook published by HarperCollins.
The Yates Garden Fresh Cookbook is perfect for gardeners who like to cook and is available from leading book stores.
Hot from the pan and served with a zingy dressing and salad leaves, this dish makes an easy entree or a satisfying lunch
Serves 4 as a starter, 2 as a light meal
- 4 handfuls mesclun leaves
- 1/1 preserved lemon, pith discarded, peel cut into tiny dice
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (divided mixture)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 100 g bulton mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the mesclun mix with the diced preserved lemon and put aside.
- Heat a griddle or ridged grill pan.
- Brush the zucchini slices with 1 Tbsp olive oil and add to the pan when it is smoking hot. Grill the sliced zucchini until the slices are browned and soft. As the slices cook, remove and lay on a platter and spoon over a little lemon juice and zest.
- Reduce heat under the pan and add the remaining oil, the sliced mushrooms and pepper and salt to taste. Cook quickly until just colouring, then add to the zucchini slices.
- Put the remaining lemon juice and zest in the warm pan and let it bubble for a minute, then pour over the vegetables, and quickly add to the salad leaves.
- Serve immediately.
This area is for general comments from members of the public. Some questions or comments may not receive a reply from Yates. For specific gardening advice visit Ask an expert Alternatively you may wish to contact us.