This Fresh recipe has been extracted from the Yates Garden Fresh Cookbook published by HarperCollins.
The Yates Garden Fresh Cookbook is perfect for gardeners who like to cook and is available from leading book stores.
Use large beefy tomatoes for stuffing. They can be served as an entree, or as a vegetable side dish. Serves 4
4 large ripe tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp unsalted butter
1 large onion, peeled and diced
2 Tbsp black olives, pitted and chopped
2 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
4 Tbsp grated cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil (for baking)
- Slice off the tops of the tomatoes and scoop out the juice, seeds and core.
- Sprinkle salt inside the tomato shells and turn upside down to drain for 30 minutes.
- To make the stuffing in the meantime, heat the oil and butter in a frying pan. Add the diced onion and cook gently until translucent.
- Add the olives and parsley and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the breadcrumbs and cook until they change colour.
- Add the cheese and stir into the mixture until it melts.
- Remove from the heat and fill each tomato shell.
- Add pepper to each.
- Put the tomato halves in an oven dish, add a little oil to the dish, and bake at 180°C for 12- 15 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked.
This area is for general comments from members of the public. Some questions or comments may not receive a reply from Yates. For specific gardening advice visit Ask an expert Alternatively you may wish to contact us.