This Fresh recipe has been extracted from the Yates Garden Fresh Cookbook published by HarperCollins.
The Yates Garden Fresh Cookbook is perfect for gardeners who like to cook and is available from leading book stores.
Curry spices bring out a deeper, richer flavour in parsnips, and this soup will warm the coldest winter day.
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp each of ground coriander, ground cumin, ground turmeric
- 500 g parsnips (about 4 medium parsnips)
- 450 ml chicken stock
- 300 ml milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tabasco sauce
- 2-3 Tbsp chives, chopped
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan, add the spices and cook gently without letting the butter brown, until the spices have released their flavours.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the parsnips. Add to the spicy butter and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the stock, milk, salt and pepper and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until the diced parsnips are tender.
- Use a blender, food processor or mouli to process the soup to a smooth thickness. Work in batches if necessary.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and return to the saucepan to reheat.
- Serve in individual bowls garnished with a drop of Tabasco sauce and the chopped chives.
This area is for general comments from members of the public. Some questions or comments may not receive a reply from Yates. For specific gardening advice visit Ask an expert Alternatively you may wish to contact us.