Whether used in tabbouleh, pesto, soups or as a not so humble garnish, parsley is one of the must-have herbs at home. Yates® Italian Plain Leaf Parsley is an upright growing variety with large, flat leaves. It has a stronger flavour than curled parsley and can be picked continuously for up to 2 years.
Italian flat leaf parsley seed can sown all around Australia during January. It grows well in full sun to part shade, in either garden beds or pots.
To keep parsley productive, keep it well watered, feed every 1 – 2 weeks from spring to autumn with nitrogen rich Yates® Thrive® Vegie & Herb Liquid Plant Food, harvest leaves regularly and remove any flowering stems. Sow more seeds during spring to ensure you have a constant fresh supply of this delicious herb.
Design tip: Parsley, both flat leaf and curled, can also be used as a rich green border plant in and around flower gardens.
Recipe Idea: SUE’S SECRET TABBOULEH
- 2 bunches finely chopped flat leaf Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons fine bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 4 (medium to large) firm but ripe tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 or 3 stalks of Spring Onion finely
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a large bowl:-
- Place the finely chopped parsley and spring onion in the bowl to one side
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the other side of the bowl
- On top of the tomatoes, place the 2 tablespoons of bulgur and mix into the tomatoes to soften for approx. 10 minutes
- Add the olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper
- Once all the ingredients are in the bowl, mix all together and taste, adjusting seasoning adding more oil and lemon if desired
- Serve cold with cos lettuce (optional)
This area is for general comments from members of the public. Some questions or comments may not receive a reply from Yates. For specific gardening advice visit Ask an expert Alternatively you may wish to contact us.